What we do
We use a wide variety of powder metal (P/M) materials and processes including secondary machining and assembly to manufacture high volume, custom tooled components for customers around the world.
Fundamentals of SSI Sintered Specialties
As our customer, you can expect:
- Ethical and professional interaction at all times from all team members regardless of role
- Product delivered on time and to print specifications
- Competitive pricing based on sound business principles and creation of value
- An honest engineering evaluation of our capabilities as related to your application
- A financially sound supplier prepared to invest in further business growth
- A safe work environment for all company employees and customer visitors
- A dedicated culture of customer support with rapid response to open issues
Where we are
Our headquarters and manufacturing plants are located in Janesville, Wisconsin, USA - a community of approximately 60,000 people located along interstate highway 90/39
- Roughly 100 miles northwest of Chicago’s O’Hare airport, 75 miles southwest of Milwaukee’s General Mitchell airport, or 40 miles south of Dane County Airport in Madison, Wisconsin.
- GPS address = 3330 Palmer Drive, Janesville, Wisconsin, USA 53547
- Parker Pen Company initiates Panoramic sintering division to manufacture porous metal pen components
- Expands into outside sinter markets including first automotive application
- Expands into structural applications including co-developing an improved hardware method for mounting a rear view mirror to the automotive windshield. Today, SSI is still the market leader for this application.
- In 1982, Parker Pen sells the sintering division to a private group of investors who re-name the company SSI Technologies, Inc. One member of the group remains today as the sole owner.
- Expands material and process offerings with development of Full Density and Metal Injection Molding (MIM) product lines featuring stainless steel and tool steel materials
- Developed line of tone wheel products to support emerging Anti Lock Brake industry.
- Pioneered the conversion of automotive exhaust components (flanges and hego sensor bosses) from wrought products to stainless steel sintering products earning several industry awards.
- Invested in two building expansions to support the emerging exhaust components market
- Transformed plant manufacturing layout from historical “batch” processing to “continuous flow” manufacturing – improving quality, reducing cost, and streamlining inventory
- Increased max press tonnage capacity from 220 tons to 550 tons
- Earned QS-9000 quality certification
- Strategically invested to bring secondary machining and assembly processes “in house” to expand capabilities and become an industry leader in terms of secondary machining capabilities
- Earned TS 16949/ISO 9001 quality certification
- Earned numerous “Supplier of the Year” awards from customers
- In support of rapid growth, SSI invested in two more building expansions as well as purchasing a second building in Janesville increasing total manufacturing square footage to a level of 150,000
- Increased max press tonnage capacity from 550 tons to 880 tons
- Earned ISO 14001 Environmental certification
- Adopted a formal Lean Six Sigma program - developed 10 Green Belt and 10 Black Belt staff members
2010 - Current
- In support of continued growth, SSI further invested in additional manufacturing equipment and building space increasing manufacturing square footage to its current level of 250,000
- Established technical sales offices in China, Korea, Germany, Japan, and Brasil
- Expanded product lines to include highly engineered iron components in support of Variable Valve Timing (VVT) and Variable Vane Pump (VVP) applications
- Honored by customers with additional “Supplier of the Year” awards
- Invest further in Lean Six Sigma bringing total number of trained staff to 59 Yellow Belt, 46 Green Belt, and 26 Black Belt staff members
- Shipments grow beyond 100 million parts per year